Rfn Beavis Frederick

  • Geboortedatum: 31/01/1884
  • Geboorteplaats: Haverhill, Suffolk, Engeland, Verenigd Koninkrijk
  • Datum van overlijden: 20/09/1917
  • Plaats van overlijden: Hill 37, België
  • Doodsoorzaak: Killed in action (K.I.A.)
  • Leeftijd: 33
  • Beroep: Tapijtwever
  • Land: Engeland, Verenigd Koninkrijk
  • Rang: Rifleman
  • Service nummer: 235039
  • Dienstneming datum: Onbekend
  • Dienstneming plaats: Sudbury, Suffolk, Engeland, Verenigd Koninkrijk
  • Laatst gekende eenheid: King's (Liverpool Regiment), 1/5th Bn.
  • Strijdmacht: British Expeditionary Force


Extra informatie

Rifleman Frederick Beavis served in 1st/5th Battalion King’s (Liverpool) Regiment. (165th Brigade, 55th Division).
On 12th June 1905 the former mat weaver married Lena Barber Raserver and had 4 children (Maurice, Stanley, Gladys, Elsie) when leaving for the war.

On 19th September 1917 the Battalion moved up to the forming up place in front of Pommern Castle for attack the next morning. The 165th Brigade was to attack with the 1/7th King’s on the right and the 1/9th king’s on the left; the 1/5th and 1/6th King’s right and left support respectivily.
There were 3 objectives. The 1/7th and the 1/9th were to capture the Red and Yellow Line, and 1/5th and 1/6th the Green Line: Every effort was to be made to capture Hill 37. Other strong points to which particular attention was to be paid were Gallipoli, Hill 35 (Lens), Iberian, Delva and Capitol.

At “Zero” on the 20th (05.40 a.m.) the leading waves of the 1/7th Battalion advanced as close under the barrage as possible, followed by the rear waves. Almost immediately violent machine-gun fire broke out from Kaynorth, Iberian and Hill 35, and the King’s men suffered casualties.
Progress was terribly difficult. No Man’s Land was literally a mass of shell-holes, mostly full of water, which in places overlapped one another: the ground was deep in viscous mud which clung to the boots of the attackers and made the “going” very hard. The result was that waves and lines became mixed. The supporting waves pushed on and reinforced the leading waves.

At 11.45 a.m. the 1/5th King’s Liverpools reported that they were holding Ditch Trench but that no one was on their left, and the Germans appeared now to be holding Hill 37 in great strength.
The 1/5th King’s Liverpools were ordered to assault the Hill from the south as soon as the South Lancs. and 1/6th and 1/9th King’s were seen to assault from the west. At 3.35 p.m. these troops were observed to be advancing on Hill 37 as ordered. No definite reports came back from the Hill until 5.10 p.m., when a message was recieved stating that Hill 37 had been captured and the position was being consolidated.

Towards dusk a strong German counter-attack on Hill 37 was beaten off with heavy casualties to the enemy.
That day, rifleman Beavis Frederick, age 33 was one of the victims. His name is commemorated in Tyne Cot Memorial, panel 31.