• Geboortedatum: 23/04/1895
  • Geboorteplaats: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Engeland, Verenigd Koninkrijk
  • Datum van overlijden: 16/08/1917
  • Plaats van overlijden: East of Steenbeek, near Triangle Farm, België
  • Doodsoorzaak: Killed in action (K.I.A.)
  • Leeftijd: 22
  • Beroep: Schoenmaker
  • Land: Engeland, Verenigd Koninkrijk
  • Rang: Private
  • Service nummer: 203338
  • Dienstneming datum: Onbekend
  • Dienstneming plaats: Cricklewood, Middlesex, Engeland, Verenigd Koninkrijk
  • Laatst gekende eenheid: Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 1/4th Bn.
  • Strijdmacht: British Expeditionary Force


Extra informatie

Boot clicker Harold Smith was born 23/04/1895 in the city of Oxford. On 16th April 1916 he married Ida Phyllis Allsworth and had 1 daughter Freda.
Private Harold Smith joined the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantery, part of 145th Brigade, 48th Division.
On 16th August 1917 the 48th Division took part at the Battle Of Langemarck, a stage in the “Third Ypres”.
The battalion headquarters were settled in Alberta Farm and all the companies were reported in position west of the Steenbeek at 04.00 a.m.
The attack started promptly at 04.45 a.m. and the men were advancing behind a strong artillery barrage. Little opposition, beyond slight rifle fire on assembly positions, until the first wave had advanced 200 yards east of Steenbeek when it came under effective machine gun fire from Maison du Hibou and their right flank.
Reinforced by rear waves, the advance continued until stopped about 100 yards south of a line through Maison du Hibou and Triangle Farm by deadly machine gun and rifle fire.
Protected by strong concrete shelters, the Germans maintained their fire while our barrage passed over them. Most of the twelve company officers became casualties in attempt to get forward.
The 1/4th battalion settled down to hold the ground gained on a line C5d9.1 to C12a4.9 (Maison du Hibou till Hillock Farm).
The attack on the right and immediate left equally held up, further left it progressed somewhat. The German barrage fell after the attacking waves around Steenbeek. It was directed with particular security against Alberta Farm, cutting off communication for several hours.
That day private Harold Smith, age 22, was killed in action. His remains were excavated and reburied in the New Irish Farm cemetery, plot XI, row F, grave 9.