Lt Col
Robert John Fitzgerald Ingham

Information about birth

Date of birth:
Place of birth:
Kensington, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom

General information

Professional Soldier

Army information

England, United Kingdom
British Expeditionary Force
Lieutenant Colonel
Service number:
Enlistment place:
Sandhurst, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom
 —  58th Heavy Artillery Group  (Last known unit)

Information about death

Date of death:
Place of death:
Lijssenthoek, Remy Siding Casualty Clearing Stations, Belgium
Cause of death:
Died of wounds (D.O.W.)


Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery
Plot: XIII
Row: A
Grave: 10

Distinctions and medals 4

Points of interest 3

#1 Place of birth
#2 Enlistment place
#3 ‘Place of death’

My story

Robert was born on the 15th of November 1880 in Kensington, Middlesex. He was the son of Mary Elizabeth Penrose and Judge Robert Wood Ingham. After completing his studies at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, Robert joined the Royal Artillery at the age of 22. He was promoted to captain in 1907. Robert married Ella Prendergast Triscott in 1911. They had two children together. A son named John Oliver and a daughter named Priscilla Beatrice. When the war broke out Robert held the rank of Major.

He later served as a Lieutenant Colonel with the 58th Heavy Artillery Group of the Royal Garrison Artillery. On the 23rd of June 1917 the 58th HAG was moved from France to the Ypres front sector. The Artillery Group mainly engaged in counter-battery fire, in anticipation of the upcoming offensive. Headquarters were established to the south of Vlamertinghe.

On 26 June the men started establishing the battery positions. The 60 pounder guns of the group were located near the hamlet of Kruisstraat, while the howitzers were positioned just north of Ypres along the Ieperlee canal. The rest of the month was spent preparing the positions and getting ammunitions up, so the guns could start firing from the 1st of July onward.

Lieutenant Colonel Robert John Fitzgerald Ingham was gravely wounded during the last days of June or the 1st of July 1917. He was evacuated to the Remy Siding Casualty Clearing Stations at Lijssenthoek, where the 36-year-old succumbed to his wounds. Robert left behind a young family.

Files 1

Sources 5