Malcolm Heywood Cuff McKenzie

Information about birth

Date of birth:
Place of birth:
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

General information

Last known residence:
35 Johnston Street, Boulder, Western Australia, Australia
Electrician + Railway station master
Church of England

Army information

Australian Imperial Force
Service number:
Enlistment date:
Enlistment place:
Blackboy Hill, Western Australia, Australia
 —  3rd Australian Ammunition Sub-Park  (Last known unit)

Information about death

Date of death:
Place of death:
Karrakatta, Western Australia, Australia
Cause of death:
Death post-war (unrelated)

Cemetery or memorial

There is no known cemetery or memorial for this soldier.

Distinctions and medals 2

Points of interest 5

#1 Place of birth
#2 Last known residence
#3 Enlistment place
#4 Place of death (approximate)
#5 Memorial cross

My story

Malcolm Heywood Cuff McKenzie was born on 16 July 1891 in Wellington, New Zealand. He was the son of Hugh and Louisa Cuff and had three brothers. The McKenzie family migrated to Australia, where Hugh McKenzie died in 1912. Malcolm worked as an electrician in Boulder, Western Australia. He enlisted on 9 March 1916 at Blackboy Hill, Western Australia.

On 26 September 1916 Malcolm embarked on the HMAT Surada A52 at Fremantle, disembarking at Plymouth, England. On 20 June 1917, just 13 days after his brother Athol had been killed during the Battle of Messines, Malcolm proceeded to France. He joined the 3rd Australian Ammunition Sub-Park as a driver on 13 November 1917. In February 1918 this unit was stationed at Meteren, France.

On 7 February 1918, Malcolm visited the presumed location of death of his brother near Messines. During this visit he placed a memorial cross in the area. This cross was recovered on 22 December 1919 and read: “In memory of 26145 Ath. C. McKenzie, A Coy. 4th Bat. NZRB. Killed in action on 7-6-17. R.I.P. Erected by brother Malcolm A.I.F. 7-2-1918.” That same day he took a picture of himself standing in a trench. His caption reads: “Canada Dump Sap, Bethlehem Road, Messines Ridge (south) near where Athol was killed [and] buried. This was taken [the] day I put [a] cross on his last resting place.” The damaged cross was found and recorded by a Burial Officer on the 22nd of December 1919.

The 3rd Australian Ammunition Sub-Park was disbanded in March 1918 and amalgamated to form the 3rd Australian Divisional Mechanical Transport Company. Malcolm was hospitalized with illness on 30 June 1918 and would not return to the front. He was discharged on 10 April 1919. After the war Malcolm returned to Boulder and married Agnes Little Halliday. They had one son together. Malcolm Heywood Cuff McKenzie died on 20 August 1980, aged 89, at Karrakatta, Western Australia.

Connection to other soldiers 1

Files 1

Sources 3

3rd Australian Ammunition Sub-Park (Australian War Memorial, Campbell (AWM), AWM4 25/54/15).
Sources used
First Australian Imperial Force Personnel Dossiers, 1914-1920 (National Archives of Australia, Canberra (NAA), B2455).
Sources used
Unit embarkation nominal rolls, 1914-18 War (Australian War Memorial, Campbell (AWM), AWM8).
Sources used

More information 1

The AIF Project (UNSW Canberra)