John Henry Malone

Informatie over geboorte

Hamilton, Victoria, Australië

Algemene Informatie


Informatie legerdienst

Australian Imperial Force
Service nummer:
Dienstneming datum:
Dienstneming plaats:
Hamilton, Victoria, Australië
 —  Australian Infantry, 57th Bn.  (Laatst gekende eenheid)

Informatie over overlijden

Datum van overlijden:
Plaats van overlijden:
Polygoonbos, Zonnebeke, België
Killed in action (K.I.A.)


Onderscheidingen en medailles 2

British War Medal
Medaille — 20/10/1924
Victory Medal
Medaille — 12/04/1923

Points of interest 3

#1 Geboorteplaats
#2 Dienstneming plaats
#3 Plaats van overlijden (bij benadering)

Mijn verhaal

Private John Henry Malone served in the Australian Infantry 57th Battalion, part of the 15th Australian Brigade, of the 5th Australian Division. The 57th Australian Battalion departed for their bivouacs at Zouave Wood on the 24th of September. They were to participate in the Battle for Polygon Wood on the 26th of September 1917.
The Battalion moved to the frontline at Polygon Wood on the 25th of September. The attack on Polygon Wood was to be carried out by the 59th Battalion, they would take the first objective. The 31st Battalion on the right and 29th Battalion on the left would push through to the second objective. The 57th was to be in support on the Divisional right flank. They laid out tape and organised work- and carrying parties in preparation of the attack. The Battalion also delivered the guides to guide the attacking Battalions to their designated positions.
At 5.50 a.m. in the morning of the 26th of September 1917 a barrage opened and the attack moved forward only three minutes later. “A” Company had been ordered to follow up the attacking Battalions to protect the right flank. The Company got hit by a heavy German barrage. The battered and disorganized Company pulled back and men of the 60th Battalion took over the right flank. “C” and “D” Companies were put to work as carrying parties to supply the troops with ammunition and water. Meanwhile the 59th Battalion succeeded in taking the first objective. All companies except ”B” Company were organised as carrying parties. “B” Company was sent forward with the remainder of the ammunition and were to work on the wire at the old frontline. They were held in the front area to help the 59th Battalion fend off possible counterattacks.
At 13.05 p.m. the 29th and 31st Battalion reached the second objective. At 2.40 p.m. carrying companies were held at the line, in anticipation of German counterattacks, until the situation cleared. The carrying parties were released, to continue their work, one hour later. The Germans counter attacked at 6.35 p.m. behind a barrage. But the attack was dispersed by an allied barrage. The German barrage continued until 8 p.m. Carrying parties were resumed after the barrage had died down. The Battalion was then ordered to re-organise and occupy the old frontline at 11 p.m. This was completed by 5 a.m. on the 27th. But as it was still necessary to get material forward, the Battalion was redeployed as carrying parties to get ammunition and water to the frontline. The Battalion remained in support at the old frontline near Black Watch Corner, until they were relieved in the evening of the 27th.
Private John Henry Malone was killed in action on the 26th of September 1917, during the attack on Polygon Wood. He possibly fell victim due to German shelling. His remains were never recovered and he is remembered on the Ypres Menin Gate Memorial.

Bestanden 1

Bronnen 7

"The Third Ypres Passchendaele. The Day-by-Day Account", McCarthy C., London, Arms & Armour Press, 1995, pg. 85-87.
Gebruikte bronnen
Gebruikte bronnen
Australian War Memorial
Gebruikte bronnen
Gebruikte bronnen
National Archives of Australia
Gebruikte bronnen
The Long, Long Trail
Gebruikte bronnen
War Diary A.I.F. 57th Bn
Gebruikte bronnen