Pte Shaw Frederick Edward

  • Geboortejaar: 1898
  • Geboorteplaats: Tamworth, New South Wales, Australië
  • Datum van overlijden: 12/10/1917
  • Plaats van overlijden: Augustus Wood, België
  • Doodsoorzaak: Onbekend
  • Leeftijd: 19
  • Beroep: Verkoper Bouwmaterialen
  • Land: Australië
  • Rang: Private
  • Service nummer: 2395
  • Dienstneming datum: 10/07/1916
  • Dienstneming plaats: Amidale, New South Wales, Australië
  • Laatst gekende eenheid: Australian Infantry, 34th Bn.
  • Strijdmacht: Australian Imperial Force


Extra informatie

Frederick Edward Shaw, an ironmonger from Tamworth, New South Wales enlisted in July 1916. He was eighteen years of age when he embarked to Europe. Frederick served in the Australian Infantry, 34th Battalion, part of the 9th Brigade of the 3rd Australian Division.

At the end of September the 34th Battalion was transferred to Belgium where they found themselves in the middle of the Battle of Passchendaele. On 12 October 1917 the Battalion carried out a disastrous attack on Passchendaele itself. The Battalion’s jumping off line was what is now Tyne Cot Cemetery, and its final objective lay just beyond Passchendaele village. The 34th Battalion was the first Battalion to advance, followed by the 35th and 36th Battalion.

At 5.25 am the 34th Battalion started its advance in total confusion, due to the heavy German shelling of the jumping-off lines. The advance was even more complicated due to the mud that slowed the soldiers down. Not soon after, the 35th Battalion joined the attack. Together they moved on towards the first objective. On their way, the 35th Battalion was able to overrun Defy Crossing, Hillside Farm and Augustus Wood.

When they had consolidated the first objective, they moved along the Passchendaele road towards the village itself, in front of which lay their second objective. Once they arrived at the ruins of the village, they encountered only slight resistance.

Several patrols managed to enter Passchendaele, but they were soon forced to retreat, due to renewed German resistance. At around 3 pm, both Battalions were pushed back past Augustus Wood and they eventually ended up close to where they had initially started.

According to his Red Cross Wounded and Missing file, Frederick, 19, was in the first wave. He had been killed while attacking the first objective at Augustus Wood.