Frederick George Nash

Informations sur naissance

Date de naissance:
Lieu de naissance:
Sandhurst, Kent, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni

Informations générales

Assistant de magasin

Informations service militaire

Angleterre, Royaume-Uni
Force armée:
British Expeditionary Force
Numéro de service:
Incorporation nom de lieu:
Hawkhurst, Kent, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni
 —  Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 1/1st Bn. (Buckinghamshire)  (Dernière unité connue)

Informations sur décès

Date de décès:
Lieu de décès:
Hillock Farm, St. Julien, Belgique
Cause du décès:
Killed in action (K.I.A.)


Tyne Cot Memorial
Panneau: 96A

Distinctions et médailles 2

British War Medal
Victory Medal

Points d'intérêt 3

#1 Lieu de naissance
#2 Lieu d'enrôlement
#3 "Lieu de décès"

Mon histoire

Frederick George Nash, a shop assistant from Sandhurst, Kent was killed during the Battle of Passchendaele.

On the 16th of August 1917, his battalion participated in the battle of Langemarck. It attacked from positions on the Steenbeek stream towards the Zonnebeke-Langemark road. The Gloucester regiment was on the right, the ¼ Ox and Bucks on their left and the ¼ Royal Berks in support. Companies “A” (left) and “B” (right) of the battalion were in the first two waves. “C” and “D” Companies were in the last two. The first objective was a line running through Hillock Farm. The second objective was the Zonnebeke-Langemark road, dominated by Springfield Farm.

The advance began at zero hour, 4.45 a.m. Due to the muddy terrain, the men lost the barrage even before they could reach the German first Line. Without the cover of the barrage, the 1/1st Battalion came under heavy machinegun and rifle fire. The leading wave was almost entirely annihilated. The situation was checked. The situation only changed when "D" Company of the third wave arrived. What followed was man to man fighting at the German positions on the St-Julien - Hillock Farm Road.

“A” Company, on the left, came under heavy fire when they skirted the slight ridge east of the Steenbeek stream. They were fired upon from reinforced positions at Hillock Farm and two gunpits, west of the Farm. Only sixteen men of the leading wave reached the gunpits. The second wave got pinned down, due to fire from Maison du Hibou and Triangle Farm. Only a handful of men reached the objective at Springfield Farm. By 7 a.m. the entire advance had been checked. An hour later Germans were seen massing near the Keerselare Crossroads. At 10 a.m. the Germans attacked Triangle Farm, but the attack was repulsed. At 9.30 p.m. the Germans launched another counterattack near Hillock Farm, compelling the British to retreat from the area, back to the Steenbeek. The battalion was eventually relieved at night.

Corporal Frederick George Nash was one of the 54 men of the Battalion who were killed in action on that day. He fell somewhere between the British assembly line West of the Steenbeek running from the South of the hamlet of Saint-Julien to the Regina Cross intersection and the fields around the Hillock Farm - Saint-Julien Road.

Fichiers 1

Sources 6

"The First Buckinghamshire Battalion 1914-1919", Wright P.L., London and Aylesbury, Hazell, Watson & Viney LD, 1920, pg. 69-80.
Sources utilisées
"The Third Ypres Passchendaele. The Day-by-Day Account", McCarthy C., London, Arms & Armour Press, 1995, pg. 50-51.
Sources utilisées
Autre référence
Sources utilisées
The Long, Long Trail
Sources utilisées
War Diary 1/1st Buckinghamshire Bn.
Autre référence