Henry Sinclair Walker

Informations sur naissance

Date de naissance:
Lieu de naissance:
Kihikihi, Hamilton, New Zealand

Informations générales


Informations service militaire

New Zealand
Force armée:
New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Numéro de service:
Incorporation date:
Incorporation nom de lieu:
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
 —  New Zealand Rifle Brigade, 1st Bn.  (Dernière unité connue)

Informations sur décès

Date de décès:
Lieu de décès:
Polderhoek, Belgique
Cause du décès:
Killed in action (K.I.A.)


Polygon Wood Cemetery
Parcelle: Inconnu
Rangée: G
Tombe: 12

Distinctions et médailles 2

British War Medal
Victory Medal

Points d'intérêt 3

#1 Lieu de naissance
#2 Lieu d'enrôlement
#3 Lieu du décès (approximatif)

Mon histoire

Henry Sinclair Walker served in the 1st Battalion, 3rd New Zealand Rifle Brigade, New Zealand Division. He was the son of John and Mary Walker, of Kihikihi, Hamilton, New Zealand.

The New Zealand Division was in the Polygon Wood area, after the end of the Third Battle of Ypres. Much of the time was spent in wiring, repairing crumbling trenches and improving defences. The landscape was covered with waterlogged shell holes. The opposing German forces generally held higher ground and movement in the New Zealand lines was often observed and shelled or machine-gunned.

The Division relieved the 21st Division from 13th November, when the 3rd (NZ Rifle Brigade) and 4th NZ Infantry Brigades took over the front line. On 1st December the NZ Rifle Brigade relieved the 4th Infantry Brigade in the Becelaere Sector, with the 1st Battalion ( Henry’s unit) relieving the 3rd Otago Battalion. The brigade headquarters was at the Polygon Butte.

On 3 December part of 2nd Brigade attacked Polderhoek Chateau. The brigade history does not offer much detail on this period so it is difficult to say how Henry died on 5 December 1917. The entire terrain had been shelled to pieces, and the Reutelbeek, which flowed through the grounds, formed a wide area of marshland separating them from the ruins of the chateau. The ruins were in German hands. The Germans had pillboxes from which they could observe the British forces perfectly and fire at them. The attack of the 3rd December was carried out with the aim of taking the terrain as a whole and the task was given to the New Zealanders. The entire operation failed. Units were shelled by their own artillery because the guns sank into the mud so that, with their barrels pointing higher than intended, their shells fell short. Strong wind made a smokescreen useless and the deployment of untrained troops contributed to the failure of the mission. Heavy losses at nearby Passchendaele had left the Allies with little choice but to send inexperienced reserve troops into battle. All the same, they fought unflinchingly.

Though not taking part in the attack, it is when the Battle of Polderhoek came to an end that Henry died, while the Battle of Polderhoek came to an end. He was buried in Polygon Wood Cemetery, Row G, Grave 12.

Fichiers 2

Sources 6

"The Official History of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade (The Earl of Liverpool's Own)", Austin W.S., The Naval & Military Press Ltd., 2007, page 255 - 258
Sources utilisées
Auckland Cenotaph
Sources utilisées
Sources utilisées
NZEF Project
Sources utilisées
Service Records
Sources utilisées
The Long, Long Trail
Sources utilisées