Farnel George Mardling

Informations sur naissance

Année de naissance:
Lieu de naissance:
Prahran, Victoria, Australia

Informations générales


Informations service militaire

Force armée:
Australian Imperial Force
Numéro de service:
Incorporation date:
Incorporation nom de lieu:
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
 —  Australian Infantry, 8th Bn.  (Dernière unité connue)

Informations sur décès

Date de décès:
Lieu de décès:
Romulus Wood, Belgique
Cause du décès:
Killed in action (K.I.A.)


Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial
Panneau: Bay 17 Stone E

Distinctions et médailles 2

British War Medal
Victory Medal

Points d'intérêt 2

#1 Lieu de naissance
#2 Lieu d'enrôlement

Mon histoire

Private Farnel George Mardling was a 28 years old accountant from Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia when he enlisted on 16th July 1915 to join the AIF. He was placed in the, 8th Australian Infantry Battalion (1st Australian Division, 2nd Australian Brigade) as was his younger brother James Wilfred.

During the Battle of Pozieres Farnel suffered shrapnel wounds to his right leg. By October 1917 the two brothers were in the same Lewis Gun team, belonging to Number 4 Section, 1st Platoon, A Company, 8th Battalion AIF and partake in the Battle of Passchendaele 1917.
On October 2nd, the 8th Battalion moved from their bivouacs and shelters at Château Segard to the Anzac Ridge, between Westhoek and Zonnebeke, where they relieved two companies of the 9th Battalion. On the 4th of October 1917 the 1st Division advanced from Zonnebeke. The Division was to attack at 6 a.m. with the 1st Australian Brigade, on the right, and the 2nd Brigade, on the left. Half an hour before the attack the Australian positions were heavily shelled, as the Germans were planning an attack on the same day.

At 6 a.m. the men advanced, when the Allied barrage came crashing down. The German Infantry in front of them left their positions almost at the same time. However while the Australians broke free from the German barrage on their frontline, the Allied barrage caught the German Infantrymen in no man’s land. The results were devastating. Many Germans were killed by the barrage. Those who survived were disorientated and didn’t put up much of a fight. The advance continued. Both Romulus and Remus Wood proved difficult to advance through. The terrain was marshy and the woods were heavily wired. The attack was diverted round the flanks. When the men of the 5th Prussian Guards (Grenadiers) had recovered from the initial surprise, they took up positions in various pill-boxes and fortified shell holes. But whenever the 8th Battalion encountered opposition from such strongholds, these were outflanked and then charged.

The 8th Battalion reached the first objective a.k.a. the Red Line, just east of Romulus and Remus Wood at 6.30 a.m. While consolidating the line the 8th Battalion came under fire from 77 mm guns on the Broodseinde - Beselare Road, just east of the Red Line. These were eventually captured by a platoon of the Battalion. After the Red Line had been consolidated by 7.30 a.m. the attack was taken over by the 6th and 7th Battalions. They eventually captured the second objective aka the Blue Line at Celtic Wood.

According to his Red Cross Wounded and Missing file, after reaching the first objective and while consolidating their position, the lewis gun team of the Mardling brothers was hit by a shell, killing all five members of the crew. All were buried where they fell, but only James Wilfred Mardling has a known grave and was reburied at Oxford Road Cemetery. On his Service Record is mentioned that Farnel was buried between the Berten Pilroad and Beselareroad (Romulus and Remus Wood). The remains of private Farnel George Mardling, aged 30 years, were never recovered and he is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres, bay 17 stone E.

Rapports avec d'autres militaires 1

Fichiers 1