Percy Nicholas Bassett

Informations sur naissance

Année de naissance:
Lieu de naissance:
Ramsey, Huntingdonshire, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni

Informations générales

ouvrier journalier

Informations service militaire

Angleterre, Royaume-Uni
Force armée:
British Expeditionary Force
Numéro de service:
Incorporation date:
Incorporation nom de lieu:
Bedford, Bedfordshire, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni
 —  The Buffs (East Kent Regiment), 8th Bn.  (Dernière unité connue)

Informations sur décès

Date de décès:
Lieu de décès:
No. 3 Australian Casualty Clearing Station, Brandhoek, Belgique
Cause du décès:
Died of wounds (D.O.W.)


Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery
Parcelle: 17
Rangée: F
Tombe: 7A

Distinctions et médailles 2

British War Medal
Victory Medal

Points d'intérêt 2

#1 Lieu de naissance
#2 Lieu d'enrôlement

Mon histoire

On Friday the 10th of August 1917 the 24th Division made an attempt to capture Lower Star Post, a German strongpoint in Shrewsburry Forest, West of the village of Gheluvelt. The attack should have taken place on the 9th of August but was postponed till the next day, due to bad weather.
The attack was carried out by 47 other ranks of B company of the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 8th Battalion at 4.35 a.m. The attacking party was subjected to heavy shelling at their assembly point. At 4.38 a.m. 3 minutes after zero hour the British artillery opened up a barrage on the German positions. Even one battery failed to open fire till 1 ½ minutes later. The delay of the barrage had had serious consequences and had cost the attacking party twelve casualties, greatly disorganizing the attack. Nonetheless the party advanced. On arriving at the position they found the Germans already out of their dugouts, waiting for the attack. When the Germans opened fire the commanding officer and all the NCO’s except one were wounded. Lance Corporal Simson, the only remaining NCO opened fire with his Lewis gun and ordered the party to attack. However the Lewis gun jammed and the Germans rained down hand grenades on the attacking party.
By this time the party had lost nearly two third of its men making it neigh to impossible to capture the German strongpoint. The party therefore retreated to the British lines. Five men had lost their lives during the attack, twenty-three were wounded and three men were reported missing. Private Bassett Percy Nicholas was one of the twenty-three men who were wounded during the attack. He died two days later of his wounds at Remy Siding No. 3 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station. Private Bassett Percy Nicholas fell victim to a gunshot wounds on chest on the 12th of August 1917 and was buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.

Sources 1

McCarthy C., The Third Ypres Passchendaele. The Day-by-Day Account (London, Arms & Armour Press, 1995), pg. 39.
Sources utilisées

Complément d’informations 3