Informations sur naissance

Année de naissance:
Lieu de naissance:
Bermondsey, Surrey, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni

Informations générales


Informations service militaire

Angleterre, Royaume-Uni
Force armée:
British Expeditionary Force
Numéro de service:
Incorporation date:
Incorporation nom de lieu:
Peckham, Surrey, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni
 —  Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment), 3rd/4th Bn.  (Dernière unité connue)

Informations sur décès

Date de décès:
Lieu de décès:
Hospital Center St. Omer, France
Cause du décès:
Died of wounds (D.O.W.)


Longuenesse Souvenir Cemetery
Parcelle: 4
Rangée: E
Tombe: 67

Distinctions et médailles 2

British War Medal
Victory Medal

Points d'intérêt 3

#1 Lieu de naissance
#2 Lieu d'enrôlement
#3 Lieu du décès (approximatif)

Mon histoire

Private John Carlton, a former Printers traveler (salesman) from Bermondsey, County of London, UK, was part of the 2/5th Buffs (East Kent Regiment) before transferring to the 3/4th Bn. Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment), part of the 62 Brigade, 21st Division.
On the 4th of October 1917 his battalion took part in the Battle of Broodseinde, a subbattle in the Battle of Passchendaele. During the night 2nd/3rd October, the 62nd and 64th Brigade relieved the 110th Brigade. The 62th Brigade where on the left with the ¾ Queens in the frontline near Reutel, 12/13th Northern Fusiliers in support, 10th Yorkshire Regiment in reserve at Zillebeke Lake and 1st Lincolnshire Regiment in Scottish Wood. Headquarters where situated in Sanctuary Wood (J.13.c.6.1.). The 3/4th Queens where responsible for the first objective (J.11.c.5.0 along road to J.11.a.85.55 – thence in straight line to J.5.a.62.06). The Queen’s passed thourgh Juniper Trench and could take Judge trench. As they consolidated the new positions the attack was taken up by the 1st Lincolnshire Regiment. During the night 7th/8th October the 3/4th Queen’s were relieved. They moved to Zillebeke Lake and from there to Scottish Wood, via Dickebusch to Ouderdom. There the battalion was entrained and proceeded to Ebblinghem (Fr). They marched to Sercus (Fr) where the companies were billeted. On 10 October there where several casualties, 4 other ranks were killed and 3 wounded.

It is unsure if Pte. Carlton was wounded during the attack on 4 October or holding the line in the next days or perhaps he was one of the 3 soldiers who were wounded in Sercus. He was eventually taken to a hospital in St. Omer where he succumb to his wounds.
According to the family his wife received a letter from the Red Cross staff to visit him in the hospital but was unable to make the journey. They would have been told he was shot by a sniper hiding in a tree.

John (affectionally known to the family as Jack) married in 1913 and had an young son John, named after his father, born in 1914. He was very musical and played the piano very well. His widow, Ellen, remarried in the early 1920’s with Arthur Edward Rouse, a WWI veteran.

Complément d’informations 3