Informationen zu Geburt

Shortlands, Kent, England, Vereinigtes Königreich

Informationen zum Armeedienst

England, Vereinigtes Königreich
British Expeditionary Force
Einberufung ort:
Wimbledon, Surrey, England, Vereinigtes Königreich
 —  London Regiment, 2/2nd Bn. (Royal Fusiliers)  (Letzte bekannte Einheit)

Informationen zu Tod

Poelcapelle, Belgien
Im Kampf gefallen


Tyne Cot Memorial
Tafel: 30

Auszeichnungen und Orden 2

British War Medal
Medaille — 11/02/1921
Victory Medal
Medaille — 11/02/1921

Punkte von Interesse 3

#1 Geburtsort
#2 Einberufung ort
#3 Ort des Todes (ungefähr)

Meine Geschichte

Private Edgar George Marfleet served in the London Regiment, 2nd/2nd, (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers). This Regiment was part of the 173rd Brigade of the 58th Division of the British Expeditionary Force.
The Division attacked on the 26th of October 1917, the opening day of the Second Battle of Passchendaele, the last stage of the Third Battle of Ypres. The Division was flanked by the 63rd (Naval) Division on its right and the 57th Division on its left. The 58th Division’s advance was carried by the 173rd Brigade, which attacked with the 2/2nd Battalion, the 2/3rd Battalion London Regiment and the 2/4th London Regiment; the 2/1st Battalion remained in reserve.
Their orders were to advance from a line, roughly running from Beek Houses to Meunier House and the Brewery, East of the village of Poelkapelle. The attack was to follow the direction of the Poelkapelle-Westrozebeke road, capturing a line some seven hundred yards East of Poelkapelle. The 2/2nd Battalion and the 2/3rd Battalion London Regiment were to capture and consolidate the first objective, after which the 2/4th Battalion was to move through them and capture the final objective.
The Battalions took up positions in the front line on the night of the 24th and 25th of October. The conditions were hard, it rained unceasingly and the terrain turned into a bog. The men in the shell-holes had ample cover and became soaking wet and the men and their guns were caked with mud. During the 25th and 26th of October, the 2/2nd Battalion endured heavy casualties, due to German shelling on the Battalion’s front line and assembly positions.
At 5.30 a.m., on the 26th of October, the attacking troops moved forward behind a creeping barrage. The Battalion endured difficulties keeping up with the barrage, as the companies were slowed down by the muddy and nearly impassable ground. To aggravate the situation for the Battalion, the barrage was too weak and failed to take out the German machine-gun positions in concrete bunkers and pill-boxes. Consequently the 2/2nd Londons were enfiladed by the German machine-guns, as soon as they advanced from their line.
The condition of the ground was so bad that the Battalion was mainly forced to advance on the left of the Battalion’s sector, because the whole right had been inundated. The whole area between Tracas Farm and Farm Road and the Lekkerboterbeek stream was a nearly impassable morass. The constant shelling had destroyed the banks of this irrigation canal, which led to the flooding of the whole area.
All companies of the Battalion were forced to advance in the direction of Cameron House, a heavily fortified German strongpoint. “C” Company on the right flank advanced just South of the Tracas Farm-Papa Farm Road. They halted at a German position 200 yards East of Tracas Farm, and made no further progress, owing to the state of the ground. “D” Company pushed forward just North of the Tracas-Papa Road and encircled and captured the German strongpoint 200 yards East of Tracas Farm. “B” Company captured a small German position about 200 yards West of Cameron House. On reaching the edge of the marsh, the Company got stuck and only two sections managed to progress forward. “A” Company had the hardest task of all. They had to capture a group of concrete blockhouses, called Cameron House. With the assistance of the two sections from “B” Company, “A” Company managed to take out five of the six pill-boxes, capturing twenty-seven prisoners. They came within one hundred yards from the Battalion’s first objective, having advanced the furthest of all the Companies.
At 7.20 a.m. the Germans launched a counter-attack, under cover from excellent marksmen. The 2/3rd Londons, whose left flank was exposed, were forced to withdraw. And the 2/1st Londons had to be sent forward from the Brigade’s reserve. With the 2/3rd Londons in retreat the 2/2nd Battalion’s flank was in the air. On top of the dire situation, the Germans launched an attack out of the only remaining German pill-box, forcing “A” Company to retreat and abandon Cameron House. Elements of “B” and “D” Companies withdrew with “A” Company. However “C”- and the remainder of “D” Company held their position, as they didn’t suffer from the counter-attack. A second counter-attack was repulsed by the Battalion, which had been reinforced by a Company of the 2/1st Battalion. The 2/2nd Battalion had roughly been driven back to their original jump-off line, where they remained in the line until midnight, when they were relieved by the 2/7th Londons.
Private Edgar George Marfleet was probably killed between Meunier House-Tracas Farm and Cameron House, east of Poelkapelle, due to German shellfire or machine-gun fire on the 26th of October during the Second Battle of Passchendaele. His remains were never recovered or identified and he is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial in Zonnebeke.

Dateien 1

Quellen 6

"2nd City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) in the Great War", Grey W. E., London, The Headquarters of the Regiment, 1929, pg. 243-249.
Verwendete Quellen
"The Third Ypres Passchendaele. The Day-by-Day Account", McCarthy C., London, Arms & Armour Press, 1995, pg. 129.
Verwendete Quellen
Weitere Quellen
Verwendete Quellen
The Long, Long Trail
Verwendete Quellen
War Diary London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) 2-2nd Bn.
Weitere Quellen