Informationen zu Geburt

Nelson, Nelson Bay, New Zealand

Allgemeine Informationen

Landwirt / Bauman / Ökonom

Informationen zum Armeedienst

New Zealand
New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Einberufung datum:
 —  Auckland Infantry Regiment, 3rd Bn.  (Letzte bekannte Einheit)

Informationen zu Tod

Polderhoek Château, Belgien
Im Kampf gefallen


Polygon Wood Cemetery
Grabstelle: Unbekannt
Reihe: G
Grab: 18

Auszeichnungen und Orden 2

British War Medal
Victory Medal

Punkte von Interesse 1

#1 Geburtsort

Meine Geschichte

Ernest Quinton was born in Nelson, New Zealand, on 9 June 1877, son of Harry and Elizabeth Quinton. He had two brothers, Arthur Charles (born 1880) and Allan (born 1885).

By 1914 Ernest’s parents were both dead. He was farming at Te Puke, Bay of Plenty. He had previously been a farmer at Stratford, Taranaki.

He enlisted on 11 January 1917 but did not go into camp until 12 March 1917, into the 27th Reinforcement, service number 49740, training at Trentham and Featherston camps.

Ernest embarked on the troop ship Tahiti from Wellington on 12 June 1917, arriving at Devonport on 16 August . During the voyage he spent three weeks in the ship’s hospital with measles. He was in Sling Camp for just over a month before sailing to France on 27 September 1917. He was at Etaples for a week before being posted to 3 Company, 3rd Battalion, Auckland Infantry Regiment on 9 October 1917. Ernest’s brigade, the 4th NZ Infantry, was not involved in the fighting during the First Battle of Passchendaele on 12 October although many served as temporary stretcher-bearers.

After the Third Battle of Ypres the New Zealand Division held the line in and around Polygon Wood. In early December the Division wanted to improve its positions and tried to take the heights round Polderhoek Chateau.

The Division’s battalions relieved each other in the Polygon Wood sector, the main work being improving defences, repairing trenches and wire. The landscape was water-filled shell holes. The Germans had observation over much of the area so any movement was shelled or machine-gunned.

Soon after Ernest joined 3rd Auckland Battalion, it went into the line at Noordemdhoek, north-east of Polygon Wood. On 22 November the battalion went back to Half-way House near Zillebeke, being used for work parties. It again went the line on 14 December at Noordemdhoek, shortly before snow and frost struck the battlefield. On 22 December It repeated the withdrawal to Half-way House to supply labour. It was at the front again from 29 December to 2 January 1918 and it was in this period of service that Ernest Quinton was killed. The regimental history does not give much detail for this period so it is difficult to say how Quinton died.

He is buried in Polygon Wood Cemetery, Row G, Grave 18.

Dateien 1

Quellen 6

"The Auckland regiment N.Z.E.F. : Being an account of the doings on active service of the first, second and third battalion", Burton O.E., Withcombe & Tombs Ltd., Auckland 1922, page 182 - 185
Verwendete Quellen
auckland cenotaph
Verwendete Quellen
Verwendete Quellen
NZEF project
Verwendete Quellen
Service Records
Verwendete Quellen
The long,long Trail
Verwendete Quellen