2nd Lt
John Albert McIntyre

Information about birth

Year of birth:
Place of birth:
Creswick, Victoria, Australia

General information

Last known residence:
Creswick, Victoria, Australia

Army information

Australian Imperial Force
Second Lieutenant
 —  Australian Infantry, 22nd Bn. (Victoria)  (Last known unit)

Information about death

Date of death:
Cause of death:
Killed in action (K.I.A.)


Distinctions and medals 2

Points of interest 2

#1 Place of birth
#2 Last known residence

My story

John McIntyre was born in November 1894 in Clementston, Australia, the son of Archibald Neal and Mary Jane McIntyre. His father died in 1912. John worked as a grocer before enlisting in the army at Wonthaggi, Australia on 6 February 1915. After passing the medical examination, he was assigned to the 22nd Australian Infantry Battalion. In August 1915, John left for the European continent. He made a stopover in Gallipoli before arriving in France.

In the days leading up to the Höhensturm, the battalion relieved the 4th on the front at Zonnebeke. The machine guns and snipers were deployed at Molenaarelsthoek, in the south-eastern part of the castle park. The weather conditions were not to be underestimated. Rainfall made the ground wet and soggy. In addition, moonlight on the night of 3 to 4 October played a role. It was a dark night with little light. The assault troops were pushed forward, beyond the first Jump-Off line.

Just before the time of the attack, which was scheduled for 6am, there was a meeting between the Australian and German troops. Charles Bean wrote the Official History of Australia in the War of 1914 - 1918. In it, he discusses this moment in detail. The castle pond is an obstacle for both the German and Australian armies. Therefore, to ensure liaison between advancing troops, a platoon of the Australian 22nd Brigade must move around the south bank of the pond to link up with the 25th Battalion north of it. In his Official History, Bean describes the moment Second Lieutenant McIntyre lost his life: "[...] showing the platoon the way with a compass, shot several German soldiers with his revolver before he himself was shot through the head." Some men from the 22nd battalion eventually returned, in shock at what they had witnessed.

John Albert McIntyre died in the early hours of 4 October 1917. He has no known burial place, as the chaos of the fatal day was great. A memorial cross was erected at the Aeroplane Military Cemetry at Ypres.

More information 1