Clarence Smith Jeffries

Informations sur naissance

Année de naissance:
Lieu de naissance:
Wallsend, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

Informations générales


Informations service militaire

Force armée:
Australian Imperial Force
 —  Australian Infantry, 34th Bn.  (Dernière unité connue)

Informations sur décès

Date de décès:
Lieu de décès:
Augustus Wood, Passchendaele, Belgique
Cause du décès:
Killed in action (K.I.A.)


Tyne Cot Cemetery
Parcelle: XL.
Rangée: E.
Tombe: 1.

Distinctions et médailles 3

British War Medal
Victoria Cross
Médaille — 18/12/1917
Victory Medal

Points d'intérêt 2

#1 Lieu de naissance
#2 "Lieu de décès"

Mon histoire

Captain Jeffries served in the Australian Infantry 34th Battalion, part of the 9th Australian Brigade of the 3rd Australian Division. At the end of September the 34th Battalion was transferred to Belgium where they found themselves in the middle of the Battle of Passchendaele. On 12 October 1917 the Battalion carried out a disastrous attack on Passchendaele itself. The Battalion’s jumping off line was what is now Tyne Cot Cemetery, and its final objective lay just beyond Passchendaele village. The 34th Battalion was the first Battalion to advance, followed by the 35th and 36th Battalion.

At 5.25 a.m., the barrage came down. It was very weak and it was difficult to determine, which was the own barrage and which was German shell fire. The advance was slow. A first obstacle, were two concrete pillboxes. One in the north of Augustus Wood and one to the northeast of Heine House. German machine-gun fire from those positions caused several casualties and held up the centre of the advance. Captain Jeffries organised a bombing party, which rushed the strongpoints. Four machine guns and 35 prisoners were captured. 150 yards in the rear of this strongpoint was a small trench in which were up to 30 Germans. An attacking party received the order to take control of the small trench. By now the 34th had s-suffered heavy losses and it was decided to send the entire Battalion up with the 35th and 36th Battalion, in the attempt to take control over the next two objectives. The Battalions reached the second objective, the Blue Line, but suffered heavy losses, from German machine gun- and shell fire.

At 3 p.m., the Battalions received instructions to hold the line at all costs. Eventually a new line was constructed from Defy Crossing on the Ypers-Roulers Railroas to the direction of Waterfields.

Capt. Jeffries was posthumous rewarded with the Victoria Cross. After the war the remains of Capt. Jeffries were found near Augustus Wood. He was later reinterred in Tyne Cot Cemetery

Fichiers 2

Sources 9

"A Short History of the 34th Battalion, AIF", E. Beaver and J.W.G. Meldrum. Carlton, Illawarra Press, 1957, pg. 22-24
Sources utilisées
"The Third Ypres Passchendaele. The Day-by-Day Account", McCarthy C., London, Arms & Armour Press, 1995, pg. 113-115.
Sources utilisées
"VC's of the First World War, Passchendaele 1917", Snelling S., Wrens Park Publishing, 2000, 1998, pg. 227-230.
Sources utilisées
A.I.F. Project
Sources utilisées
Australian War Memorial
Sources utilisées
Sources utilisées
National Archives of Australia
Sources utilisées
The Long, Long Trail
Sources utilisées
War Diary, 34th Australian Battalion
Sources utilisées

Complément d’informations 4